Wednesday, February 03, 2010

The barefoot philosophy

I love studying law, I do. Lawyers like to think that we're a far more superior human being who knows it all, but we Google too.

Practicing law in a country that I love so dear is heartbreaking, where the practice of corruption is deemed as business-as-usual (and can be counted as an actual element in a cost-benefit analysis), which makes trusting and being in the system is always keeping you on the verge of losing your humanity.

Elizabeth Gilbert once said that the appreciation of pleasure can be an anchor of one's humanity. It is your duty (and also your entitlement as a human being) to find something beautiful within life, no matter how slight.

Thus, I find my pleasure in taking long walks while I'm traveling, sightseeing, having conversations with people to listen to their life stories, and of course, stopping for a photograph or two. Walking barefoot, is a term that I like to use because it gives you that sense of natural harmony with the places you go to and it always reminds me to stay grounded, no matter how far your journey may take you.

3 comments:

Aditya Muharam said...

keep it coming LOL

Unknown said...

I love your quote by Gilbert. It is how I live. People who are invested in their mess and misery think I am mad, unpractical, out to lunch, or simply unable to cope with reality. And yet this simple philosophy, and the daily practice of finding at least one thing of beauty and one sign of love in my world, have literally saved my life and made it possible for me to know happiness under the most dire of conditions. Therefore one could say that beauty and love are the most practical of things in the universe. ---Rose

utiuts said...

Kak Fika! I'm glad you blog again. Been missing your entries for quite a while ^^

Yay! A backpacker's journal! A place where I can satsify my backpacking thirst without actually travelling there (cos I don't have the money. Yet) xD