Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Getting to Wakatobi

Wakatobi is an acronym of the four main islands that consists it, which are Wangi-wangi, Kaledupa, Tomia and Binongko. Initially it was named Tukangbesi Islands, because of the people who lived in Binongko Island who are mainly blacksmiths (tukang besi in Bahasa Indonesia) by profession. Nowadays Wakatobi is famous for their underwater national park.

When I went to Wakatobi, I flew from Jakarta to Kendari (the capital city of Southeast Sulawesi province), arrived at Haluoleo Airport and then took a smaller plane to Matahora Airport (Wangi-wangi Island). Garuda Indonesia flies to Kendari daily from Jakarta with a stop in Makassar. Other airplanes fly to Kendari also, such as Merpati, Lion Air, Batavia Air, Sriwijaya Air, and Express Air. As of now, only Express Air flies to Wakatobi. You can also go by speed boat from Kendari with a transit to Bau-bau (5 hrs), travel by car to Lasalimu (2 hrs), then speed boat from Lasalimu to Wanci in Wangi-wangi (1 hr).

I was very excited when I flew over Wangi-wangi, and no longer than 30 minutes, I already arrived in Matahora Airport. Don’t be surprised by the very minimum facilities in the Airport, such as the manual labor baggage claim. Would love to go to Wakatobi again, because I only spent one night there. Maybe next time I’ll go by boat, for the added adventure. :)

No comments: